Personal Assistant (PA) CV Tips and Examples
If you’re on the lookout for a job as a Personal Assistant, it’s crucial to make sure that your CV catches the attention of recruiters and hiring managers. This will greatly improve your chances of landing that perfect personal assistant position.
Creating a stand-out personal assistant CV requires keeping things concise, expressing yourself eloquently and tailoring it to fit the role and company. Showcasing your relevant skills and accomplishments is crucial, but don’t forget to let your personality shine through too. After all, your CV should give recruiters a peek into who you are as a person.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll delve into the recommended structure and format for a personal assistant CV. We’ll also share some of our valuable tips on how to compose an impressive personal assistant CV, including a practical example.
How to Write a Personal Assistant CV That Stands Out
When crafting your CV for a personal assistant role, it’s crucial to present your relevant skills and experience clearly and concisely. It is also important to tailor your CV to the specific job you are applying for.
To tailor your CV to the job you’re applying for, you should review the PA job description carefully and make sure that the skills and experience you highlight in your CV align with the requirements of the position. Consider including specific examples or achievements that demonstrate your relevant skills.
Here are some valuable tips on structuring your CV when applying for personal assistant positions:
Step 1: CV Formatting
When creating your CV, it’s important to consider the specific requirements of the position and industry you’re applying for.
While most support roles call for a CV in a PDF format, there may be some exceptions depending on the company and position.
In certain instances, companies may request that you apply directly through a website or a third-party recruitment platform. Some platforms may require you to upload a separate file for your CV, while others may require you to input information into a designated form. Make sure to review the platform’s requirements and submit your CV accordingly.
Joss Search Tip: Formatting
At Joss Search, we emphasise the importance of designing a visually appealing and easy-to-read CV. Opting for a format that is clear and incorporates bullet points and headings will help hiring managers quickly navigate through the information.
There are a range of options to choose from when creating your CV. You can choose a basic text document format, which is simple to create and widely used. Alternatively, if you’re inclined towards adding a touch of creativity, you can explore CV creator software.
The number one goal is to make your CV visually appealing while maintaining clarity and ease of reading. Choose a format that suits your style and the position you’re applying and try not to make the design too complicated as this can make it difficult for the recruiter to read.
Step 2: Personal profile
The next step in the CV-building process is to write a personal profile. A personal profile is a concise overview of your qualifications, skills and experience that demonstrate why you’re a strong fit for the position. It is typically placed at the beginning of your resume and serves as a compelling introduction to your professional profile.
A well-crafted personal assistant profile should include a summary of your key skills, strengths and any relevant experience or accomplishments that showcase your ability to excel in a support role. It provides hiring managers with a clear picture of your capabilities.
Your personal assistant profile may also incorporate a brief statement that offers insight into your personality, values and work style. This helps hiring managers gauge whether you would be a good match for the company’s culture and the tasks you’ll be assisting with.
How to write a personal statement
When writing your personal profile, pay attention to the following points:
- Start your personal statement with one to two sentences that reflect your personality, work style and values.
- Highlight the key qualities that make you an ideal candidate for the position, focusing on the ones most relevant to the job you’re applying for.
- Tailor your professional experience summary to match the specific requirements of the personal assistant role. Emphasise relevant roles, responsibilities and noteworthy achievements that showcase your capabilities.
- Include any relevant degrees or certifications related to the personal assistant position, along with relevant online courses you’ve completed.
- Conclude your profile by expressing your enthusiasm for the role and dedication to supporting the executive and contributing to the organisation’s success.
Example of a PA personal statement
I am a motivated and adaptable personal assistant with a proven track record of successfully supporting high-level professionals and ensuring seamless operations. My strong communication and organisational skills, combined with acute attention to detail, enable me to excel in this role.
Managing multiple tasks, prioritising deadlines and upholding confidentiality are second nature to me. I am dedicated to providing exceptional support that goes above and beyond expectations.
I am excited about the opportunity to apply my skills and expertise to contribute to your continued growth. With our collaborative efforts, we can achieve exceptional results.
I look forward to embarking on this journey together and making a positive and impactful difference.
Step 3: What to include in your PA CV
The next step in the process is to decide what information you should include in your PA CV. As previously mentioned, it is important to highlight experience, qualifications, achievements and responsibilities that align closely with the position you are applying for.
Put the spotlight on your relevant experience, showcasing your notable achievements and responsibilities. Highlight your actual accomplishments and how they contributed to the success of previous employers or projects.
To make your experience stand out, use action verbs and quantitative results whenever possible. This helps to demonstrate your impact and the value you bring to potential employers. Consider including specific examples or projects that showcase your skills and expertise in action.
Remember, relevance is key. Tailor your experience section to highlight the aspects that directly relate to the desired position, industry and company. This will help hiring managers quickly recognise your qualifications and suitability for the role.
Education and certifications
The education and certifications section of your CV is an opportunity to showcase your formal qualifications and any relevant short courses you’ve completed. This information provides evidence of your knowledge and expertise in specific areas that are pertinent to the position you’re applying for.
Start by including your highest level of education, such as a degree or diploma, along with the institution you attended and the year of completion. This gives employers an immediate understanding of your educational background.
If you have obtained certifications or professional qualifications that are directly related to the role, be sure to include them as well. This could include online courses, industry-specific courses or software accreditations that demonstrate your proficiencies.
By highlighting your education and certifications, you demonstrate to potential employers that you have the necessary qualifications and knowledge to excel in the role. It adds credibility to your application and shows hiring managers you are committed to continuous learning and personal development.
The core skills section of your CV allows you to highlight the hard and soft skills that make you a strong candidate for the role. These skills demonstrate your ability to effectively perform the tasks and responsibilities associated with the position.
Start by identifying the core skills that are most relevant to the role. Here are some potential core skills to include in a personal assistant CV:
- Communication: Strong communication skills are essential for a personal assistant. Highlight your ability to effectively communicate with executives, team members and external stakeholders.
- Organisation: As a personal assistant, you will be responsible for managing multiple tasks, schedules and priorities. Showcase your organisational skills, such as calendar management, meeting coordination, travel arrangements and efficient time management.
- Attention to detail: Attention to detail is crucial in the role of a personal assistant, as you will be handling sensitive information, preparing reports and managing administrative tasks. Emphasise your ability to maintain accuracy, thoroughness and meticulousness in your work.
- Problem-solving: Personal assistants often encounter challenges and unexpected situations. Highlight your problem-solving abilities, including your capacity to think critically, make decisions and find creative solutions to complex problems.
- Confidentiality: Confidentiality and discretion are crucial attributes for a personal assistant. Showcase your understanding of the need for privacy and your ability to handle confidential information with the utmost professionalism and trustworthiness.
- Technology proficiency: Personal assistants often work with various software and tools. Highlight your proficiency in relevant software, such as Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), project management software and CRM systems.
Step 4: Cut the fluff
To stand out, your CV should be concise, targeted and tailored specifically to the job you are applying for. Ideally, a personal assistant’s CV should not exceed two pages. This necessitates careful selection of information, emphasising the most relevant and impactful aspects of your professional experience.
Joss Search Tip: Editing
Once you have all the details of your CV mapped out, review the information and remove any non-relevant or repetitive information.
The primary objective of maintaining a concise and tailored personal assistant CV is to enable recruiters and hiring managers to quickly grasp your qualifications and experience. By focusing on the most pertinent details, you enhance your chances of capturing their attention and progressing to the next stage of the hiring process.
Personal assistant CV example
- Name: Max Goodwork
- Location: Surrey
- Contact number: 0123 456 7890
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
As a seasoned Personal Assistant with over a decade of experience, I am well-versed in the demanding role of supporting busy executives. I bring a wealth of expertise in seamlessly managing tasks and resources, ensuring optimal efficiency at all times.
My ability to collaborate and communicate effectively has been a cornerstone of my career as a Personal Assistant. I excel in bringing people together and facilitating seamless teamwork, resulting in staff feeling happy and supported.
In addition to my strong communication skills, I am highly proficient in managing complex travel arrangements and meticulously maintaining calendars. I take pride in my ability to flawlessly coordinate meetings and events.
Complementing my hands-on experience, I hold a diploma in office administration and have pursued online courses in office management to further enhance my skills in the personal assistant role.
I am excited about the opportunity to contribute to the success of your organisation. With unwavering dedication and a commitment to providing exceptional support, I am eager to discuss how my qualifications align with your needs.
- Office Administration Diploma – Global Edulink – Completed 2017
- Managing Office Politics – LinkedIn Learning – Completed 2021
- Soft Skills: Excellent communicator with a passion for organisation and finding ways to improve company processes and efficiencies
- Software: Proficient in Microsoft 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Sage Pastel and SAP
- Languages: Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking) and Dutch (reading, writing and speaking)
Personal Assistant to the Managing Director
- January 2012 – Present
- Top Recruiters UK – Surrey
In my current role, I provide comprehensive support as a Personal Assistant to the MD at Top Recruiters UK. This entails managing business and personal calendars, travel arrangements and special projects effectively.
- Prepare monthly reports for all departments, analyzing and synthesizing data from various sources to provide comprehensive insights and recommendations for improvement.
- Maintain and manage the Managing Director’s calendar, scheduling and organising an average of 30 appointments per week with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Coordinate company travel arrangements for a team of 50 employees, successfully managing an average of 100 travel bookings per month, ensuring cost savings of 15% through negotiated deals.
- Manage confidential company correspondence, handling an average of 50 sensitive documents per week with strict adherence to confidentiality protocols.
- Setup and manage management meetings, organising an average of 20 meetings per month, ensuring timely distribution of agendas, minutes and action items
- Effectively communicate and keep the management team well-informed of upcoming commitments, sending out weekly status updates and reminders, resulting in a 20% decrease in missed deadlines.
- Office management includes overseeing day-to-day operations, maintaining office supplies and equipment and reducing expenses by 10% through efficient procurement strategies.
- Support the smooth functioning of the workplace environment, implementing workplace satisfaction surveys resulting in a 15% increase in employee satisfaction scores.
- Developed and implemented an innovative asset management system that replaced manual tracking methods with a digital solution, allowing for real-time visibility and control over company assets. As a result of the enhanced asset management system, operational efficiency increased by 25%, reducing time spent on asset tracking and minimising the risk of loss or misplacement.
- I coordinated a management meeting with 16 international executives. I managed all logistical aspects, prepared comprehensive itineraries, facilitated seamless communication and successfully executed the meeting, resulting in strengthened global collaboration, improved understanding and the alignment of strategic goals.
Personal Assistant to the Founder
- July 2005 – December 2011
- Keith’s International Staffing Solutions (KISS) – Surrey
As a Personal Assistant, I reported directly to the company founder. My responsibilities included calendar management, office management, event planning and communication.
- Manage the founder’s calendar and schedule appointments, meetings and team events, handling an average of 40 appointments per week with precision and timeliness.
- Handle correspondence and communication on behalf of the founder, drafting and proofreading an average of 20 emails, memos and documents per day to ensure accuracy and professionalism.
- Assist in the organisation and coordination of company events, conferences and workshops, successfully executing an average of 10 events per year, ensuring seamless logistics and attendee satisfaction.
- Provide comprehensive administrative support, including managing expense reports, processing invoices and handling travel arrangements for the founder, resulting in efficient financial management and cost savings of 10%.
- Facilitate effective communication and coordination between the founder and various stakeholders, departments and team members, ensuring efficient collaboration and timely information flow.
- Support the founder in executing key projects and initiatives, managing timelines, milestones and deliverables to achieve objectives on time and within budget.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion, upholding privacy and confidentiality standards to protect the founder’s interests and maintain trust.
- Proactively identify areas for improvement and implement streamlined processes, resulting in a 15% increase in the founder’s productivity and efficiency through enhanced workflows and optimised task management.
- Implemented an efficient calendar management system using Calendly. This significantly improved the founder’s schedule and reduced conflicts, resulting in seamless appointment scheduling and increased productivity.
- Successfully coordinated and executed the company’s annual conference, ensuring smooth logistics, effective communication and a memorable experience for all attendees. The event received positive feedback from participants and contributed to enhancing the company’s reputation and fostering strong relationships with stakeholders.
Beyond work, I am an avid enthusiast of endurance sports, including running, cycling and swimming. I enjoy competing in triathlons, where I can showcase my skills in all three disciplines.
I recently achieved a significant personal milestone by completing the London Marathon. I believe this is a testament to my determination, perseverance and commitment to pushing my physical and mental limits.
Engaging in these activities allows me to maintain a healthy work-life balance and fuels my passion for setting and achieving goals both in and out of the professional sphere.
Please note that this is a fictional example CV based on the provided information.
Crafting a standout Personal Assistant CV is crucial to increase your chances of landing the perfect position.
By keeping your CV concise, expressing yourself eloquently and tailoring it to the role and company, you can catch the attention of recruiters and hiring managers. It is important to structure your CV effectively, paying attention to formatting, personal profile, relevant experience, education and certifications and core skills.
By following these steps and tips, you can create an impressive and impactful CV that highlights your qualifications and sets you apart from the competition.
Joss Search is an experienced recruitment agency that specialises in placing professionals in business support roles. With a strong reputation for successfully pairing high-calibre candidates with prestigious companies worldwide, our team of experienced recruiters is committed to finding the ideal match for both clients and candidates. If you’re seeking a new personal assistant position, contact us today to explore our current job openings and learn how we can assist you in advancing your career.
Find more CV guides here.